MEDIA RELEASE – 3rd December 2021
The Smart Energy Council has welcomed Federal Labor’s comprehensive Powering Australia Plan which will see a Labor government lift the share of low-cost renewables in the National Electricity Market to 82% by 2030.
Powering Australia is a blueprint for action – a plan for modernising the economy, creating new jobs, industries and business opportunities.
It is the foundation stone for establishing Australia as a renewable energy superpower.
Powering Australia means more jobs and lower power bills for Australians because that is what smart energy delivers. This is the right policy at the right time.
The Smart Energy Council strongly welcomes major policy commitments by Federal Labor:
- Modernising Australia’s ageing electricity grid through a $20 billion Rewiring the Nation plan;
- Up to $3 billion to invest in renewables metals, renewable energy component manufacturing and renewable hydrogen electrolysers;
- 85 solar banks and 400 community batteries across Australia;
- Removing taxes from low priced EVs;
- 10,000 New Energy Apprentices and a New Energy Skills Program; and
- The new commitment for the Australian Public Service to reach new zero emissions by 2030.
The policies announced today, together with State and Territory Government actions and the rapid reduction in the price of solar and renewable energy, show that Australia can easily achieve a 50% reduction in emissions by 2030.
We will be pushing for Federal Labor Government to increase this target over time, consistent with climate science and international commitments.